Saturday, February 26, 2011

a new update from brad!!

February 18, 2011

Time seemed to slow. I adjusted my grip on my M9 Baretta. In the chaos of men shouting and shooting, I grabbed a 15 round magazine and rammed it into the receiver of the weapon. I quickly switched the weapon from safe to fire, and pulled back the hammer with my right thumb. While I picked up the enemy target, I could hear the violent percussion of weapons discharging all around me as I had my left hand support my right. The principles of marksmanship are applied to every weapon: Proper grip, sight picture, breathing, and trigger squeeze. With the hammer all ready back all it takes is slight pressure applied to the index finger and …POP. The shot should surprise you a bit. In this case, the pop didn't surprise me, as I unloaded all 15 rounds into my target, and quickly hit the magazine release with my right thumb, dropping the mag, while quickly loading another. In the Army this is known as expending as much ammo as you can because no one wants to turn it in. It's a technical term, but I think you can wrap your mind around it. Those paper targets didn't stand a chance as approximately 100 soldiers let loose with 249's (machine gun) M-4s (Rifle) and M-9s (Pistol) in a musical cacophony.

In Camp Buehring along with our mandatory classes we had mandatory ranges. Everyone needed to zero and qualify their weapon, even though all of us had already done so back home. I really didn't mind, because shooting things and loud noises are some of the many reasons I joined the Army. Following the ranges the Company as a whole began their training prior to entering Kuwait. As I mentioned in my previous news letter I had already completed the classes so my job mainly consisted of reporting numbers trained to the Battalion leadership. Another one of my main jobs consisted of bringing the new XO for Charlie Company up to speed.

Prior to Charlie getting on the ground our BN XO pulled me aside and showed me a memo with the names of different officers moving to different positions with-in the Battalion. My name was on this list and it stated that I was moving to HHC (Higher Headquarters Company) as the 'Scout' Platoon Leader. I was ecstatic. However, he tempered my joy by whispering the words: "…be careful what you wish for…" I looked at him with a puzzled face and asked, "why? Whats up? Sir, are you mad I wanted this?" He replied that he wasn't, but informed me that my platoon would be split between two major jobs that aren't very glamorous…or fun as we would be going outside the gate nearly every day. F

I didn't care, I would be a PL again, and all was right in the world. I had mentioned a few times to my higher ups that I had been 'screwed' (another technical term a bit softer than the official Army term) by loosing my platoon six months into my PL time. I mentioned that the PL from the Scout Platoon was moving on and that I would be a good fit. I guess someone finally saw it my way. My power of persuasion can be so strong as to almost render the person being persuaded of no free will…just ask Bethany. Its my superpower.

Anyway, my main task was to square away Charlie and my replacement. My replacement and I hit it off right away. For the next two weeks we would do almost everything together. He would pick my brain, and I would give him the advice I wish I had before I took on such a big job. I also informed him on the personalities in the BN and in our company. A big part of any organization is working with people and knowing how to get what you want and need from anyone who can influence your life.

Soon we, along with some other advance party soldiers, found ourselves in Ali Asleem Airbase Kuwait. This is where all flights going into and out of Iraq converge. It is much like Camp Buehring, with a USO, MWR, and various fast food restaurants. After we arrived my group and I unloaded our body armor, dropped our bags and surfed the wifi. After a few hours it was time to bus to our C-130 and board for our flight into Basrah. Our buses took us then to the airfield while we waited, and waited some more. In fact, we waited so long the bus driver put on the movie 'Red' for our viewing displeasure….(is it me or has Hollywood had an inordinate amount of way over the top action movies?). Eventually we are told that our bird has some mechanical problems and we are to head back to Ali Asleem.

We wouldn't fly out until the next day, however my replacement and I enjoyed some great MWR action, where we watched the very enjoyable movie, 'Grown Ups'. Many of you may have found this movie stupid, but I on the other hand think that 4 year olds still breastfeeding is cinematic comedy at its best.

The flight to Basrah was all of 30 minutes, and we arrived by mid afternoon. The very first thing that hits you is the smell. There is a lot of stagnate water all over the FOB, plus we live in a place in the world where people don't care where they poop. Next, your hit with the vast amount of garbage everywhere. The FOB isn't nearly as bad as when you go outside of the gate on patrols. Garbage….everywhere. Lastly, and probably the worst for me, is the amount of flies and mosquitoes. Mosquitoes…whatever…yes annoying, but whatever. Flies…they breed on human feces, then land on you. This is the equivalent of a stranger touching you with a stick that has poo on it. However, rest assured I have been told that I can look forward to the summer heat of 130-140 degrees because it kills off some of the flies.

Well, other than that this is a wonderful place and I am so glad I am here…. Seriously though, it's no wonder these people are so willing to blow themselves up. I think if I lived here I would be game too. Its not all bad though, I have a room with ac, and I don't have to share it. Naked Tuesdays here we go.

More to follow...

1 comment:

Lehilina Marlow said...

Hahaha!!! Love the ending!!! :)